Friday, August 22, 2008

"She must respect me..."

I read the article online a few days ago, but I only found it today. It's the story of how Russian pole vaulter, Yelena Isinbayeva "stuck it" to US competitor Jenn Stuczynsky for the latter's comment before the event. Stuczynsky was perhaps feeling a little cocky, so she made the comment that she hope to "do some damage," and "kick some Russian butt."

There is competitiveness and then there is arrogance. Stuczynsky would soon learn her mistakes when Yelena Isinbayeva picked up the gauntlet that was thrown. She did it not just by beating Stuczynsky's 48.0 metres. She came back for more and she cleared 5.05 metres - a world record.

I love Isinbayeva's statement at the end:

"She must respect me and ... know her position."

Isinbayeva doesn't ask for respect. She takes it. This is why I love the Olympics. Such drama! This is the stuff that soap operas are made of - and it's all here on the Olympics!

No comments: