Friday, March 14, 2008

Profile of Pratchett: A Man of "Blameless and Dull Virtue"

"I always feel aggrieved for him, because in a way his extraordinary popularity rather militates against him being seen as one of our greatest satirists and humorous writers in English today. To me he's right up there with Wodehouse and Evelyn Waugh, and I'm slightly puzzled more people don't spot this." ~ Peter Florence, director of the Hay festival.

The Guardian ran a profile of Terry Pratchett. I laughed at this nugget of how Pratchett's autobiography would read:

His agent, Colin Smythe, said his star's autobiography would be stunningly tedious: "Got up, had breakfast, did some writing, had lunch, did some writing, did some gardening - he leads a life of blameless and dull virtue."

"Blameless and dull virtue." Yay.

4 comments:

Ana S. said...

Did you see his speech? I honestly didn't think I could admire him even more, but it turns out I was wrong.

Ana S. said...

Sorry, trouble with the link. here.

darkorpheus said...

Nymeth Thanks for the link. This man is a fighter! I admire this man so much!

jenclair said...

I love that comment by his agent! Now, I'm off to check the link that Nymeth gave!