Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Away and other Free Books

Okay, I'm high as a caffeinated hummingbird because I just brought home a free reading copy of the Granta edition of Amy Bloom's Away. It's not as nice as the US hardcover - but who's complaining? The Granta cover is more subtle - the cover like an over-exposed sepia photograph of a little girl looking back at you.

Did I mention I have read all of Amy Bloom's books? Did I mention how much I am looking forward to Away? It has replaced The Razor's Edge as my priority reading right now. Hopefully I will be able to finish it by this weekend - which will allow me some time to write a little on it. I still have my half-written posts on Into the Wild and A Perfect Hoax pending. No pressure.

September has been a bounty month for free books. I've picked up some free books and Advance Reader's Copies. The list:

  • Seed to Harvest, Octavia E. Butler

  • The Tenderness of Wolves, Stef Penney

  • Against the Stream, Noah Levine

  • Proust and the Squid, Maryanne Wolf

  • Making Money, Terry Pratchett

I'm particular happy with the free copy of Butler's Seed to Harvest. I've been trying to squeeze Octavia E. Butler into my reading schedule - but alas.

Seed to Harvest is an omnibus collect four novels from her Patternist series: Wild Seed, Mind of My Mind, Clay's Ark and Patternmaster. I hope it's good. Anyone has read it? Will I be disappointed?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I hadn't heard about Seed ot Harvest. Is it out yet? I've read the two in the series and didn't know it was a series until the second one. I read them some time ago and liked them both. The ones I read--I think--were Mind of My Mind and Patternmaster. I've always meant to read them all in order but haven't gotten around to it yet.

Anonymous said...

Your post reminds me that I've a review of Razor's Edge somewhere I haven't posted on here! So many books to keep track of and so many journal entries! Sometimes I *do* feel the strain of getting the reviews done as soon as I turned the cover.

Unless I come up with something more intriguing, A perfect Hoax would be the next Outmoded candidate. :)

darkorpheus said...

Stefanie I think Seed of Harvest, is out earlier this year. But when I googled the Patternmaster series - it seems the books were released in different order from the chronology of the story itself.

Matt Ah, yes - sometimes it this blogging business feels like a job - with deadlines, doesn't it?

But how did you like Razor's Edge? Larry Darrell seems like someone I could almost identify with - at least as a seeker/loafer.

Good luck with A Perfect Hoax. It was nice and short - but I'm trying to write something that will do the book justice.