Wednesday, January 31, 2007

BOOKS | Divisadero

I hijacked the proof-copy of Michael Ondaatje's new novel, Divisadero, from my colleague. I love The English Patient - and I am in love with Ondaatje's lyrical prose. I have abandoned all other readings and is focusing on Divisadero.

If you are interested, the book will be released in May 2007 for the US market, and September 2007 for the UK.

From Divisadero:

When I come to lie in your arms, you sometimes ask me in which historical moment do I wish to exist. And I will say Paris, the week Colette died. . . . Paris, August 3rd, 1954. In a few days, at her state funeral, a thousand lilies will be placed by her grave, and I want to be there, walking that avenue of wet lime trees until I stand beneath the second-floor apartment that beloned to her in the Palais-Royal. The history of people like her fills my heart. She was a writer who remarked that her only virtue was self-doubt. (A day or two before she died, they say Colette was visited by Jean Genet, who stole nothing. Ah, the grace of the great thief . . .)

'We have art,' Nietzsche said, 'so that we shall not be destroyed by the truth.' The raw truth of an incident never ends, and the story of Coop and the terrain of my sister's life are endless to me. They are the sudden possibility every time I pick up the telephone when it rings some late hour after midnight, and I wait for his voice, or the deep breath before Claire will announce herself.

For I have taken myself away from who I was with them, and what I used to be. When my name was Anna.

4 comments:

Carl V. Anderson said...

I haven't read many, but there is something deeply gratifying about reading a book before it 'comes out' to the general public.

Imani said...

Sarvas at "The Elegant Variation" mentioned this novel as well, since he too is a big Ondaatje fan. I admit that I've never read The English Patient or seen the movie. I am interested in reading Coming Through Slaughter. For some reason I am ever initially reluctant to pick up "war" novels.

Anonymous said...

I had no idea he was coming out with a new book. I loved the English Patient (it's been long enough now--it is due for a reread). I will have to add this to my list.

Diane Dehler said...

Thanks for this tip- will find this book at the library.