Tuesday, November 28, 2006

YOGA | Eka Pada Urdhva Dhanurasana

Eka Pada Urdhva Dhanurasana

Some time back I wrote about my difficulty in coming to Urdhva Dhanurasana(Wheel pose) during yoga class. I am glad to say I am now able to rise to Wheel without too much difficulty. In fact, I feel immense strength in Wheel.

I wanted to bring my practice just that bit further. So last weekend I tried a variation on the Wheel - I attempted Eka Pada Urdhva Dhanurasana. [See picture on the right]

To do Eka Pada Urdhva Dhanurasana, first come to the Wheel. When you're steady, you bring one leg up at about 45 degree from the ground.

I felt steady and strong in the Wheel. But when I lifted my leg, I felt myself wobble a little, as though my grounded limbs were going to give way. The variation tested the balance in my posture. My foundation was apparently not as strong as I have assumed.

For a while I was getting comfortable in the Wheel pose. Now, a single variation pushes things into uncertainty again. There was the tiniest tinge of fear when the leg lifted - the fear of falling.

I find that I quite enjoy this experience.

No comments: