Saturday, December 17, 2005

Revising My 100 Books to Read

I'm revising my 100 Books to Read list, as expected.

I’m taking out:
Julian Barnes’s Flaubert Parrot
John Kennedy Toole’s A Confederacy of Dunces
Charlotte Bronte’s Villette
George Eliot’s Middlemarch
Jeanette Winterson’s Sexing the Cherry
John Berger's Ways of Seeing

Who am I kidding? I am not yet prepared to go back to the life where everything is the 19th Century British novel. So only one Charlotte Bronte. And no Middlemarch yet.

As for Sexing the Cherry - I have to say it is one of those Winterson books I did not enjoy. I thought a re-reading of Four Quartets may help shed new light on Sexing the Cherry. I regret, it did not. So, if I'm going to re-read Winterson, might as well be The Passion. Or Gut Symmetries.

Shortlist for replacement:
Antigone by Sophocles
Stories by Anton Chekhov
Kim by Rudyard Kipling
New Annotated Sherlock Holmes by Arthur Conan Doyle
V for Vendetta by Alan Moore
The Passion by Jeanette Winterson

Question is, should I take down the Qu'ran as part of my reading? I am both daunted and fascinated by it.

Will post the revised list once I've decided. *sigh*

No comments: